Looking for the latest social media demographics for 2022?
You’ve hit the jackpot.
The importance of social strategy can’t be overstated — up-to-date demographics are crucial to marketers. It is so important to be driven by data so read on for all the data that you could need!
Because the social space is constantly evolving. With more networks available than ever before, you need to spend your time and budget wisely. Specifically, you should focus on where your customers are.
And while you may think you know which networks your target audience are on, these results might not be what you are expecting.
Social media demographics: the numbers you need to know.
When choosing the right platform to focus on, demographic data is key to understanding which networks and campaigns are worth your focus.
If you want to know which apps are up-and-coming or are looking at opportunities to cross-post your content. We’ve got you covered.
Below is our list of must-know social media demographics for 2022 (and beyond). These numbers are based on the latest research and social media statistics available at the time of writing.
And as an added bonus, we’ve also highlighted strategic takeaways for each network to guide your social strategy!
Facebook demographics and usage
- Number of monthly active users: 2.91 billion
- Largest age group: 25-34 (31.5%)
- Gender: 43% female, 57% male (no data on other genders)
- Time spent per day: 33 minutes
Takeaways from Facebook demographics for 2022
- Despite ongoing controversies, Facebook still remains the largest social platform among consumers and marketers.
- Note that time spent on Facebook has actually fallen (from 38 minutes per day to 33 minutes) over the past five years despite overall social media usage spiking.
- Facebook’s user growth rate has slowed to a grinding halt with only a 0.8% change increase during 2021.
- Following last year’s social media demographic data, younger consumers continue to flock to TikTok and Snapchat versus Facebook and Instagram.
- However, Facebook Ad revenue continues to climb regardless of the gloom and doom about reach — this highlights how Facebook ads are a staple of marketing at large.
Instagram demographics and usage
- Number of monthly active users: 2 billion
- Largest age group: 25-34 (31.2%), with 18-24 close behind at 31%
- Gender: 48.4% female, 51.8% male (no data on other genders)
- Time spent per day: 29 minutes
Takeaways from Instagram demographics for 2022
- The platform has doubled its user base to 2 billion within three years, a staggering stat that proves Instagrams staying power.
- As younger users migrate to TikTok, perhaps it’s fair to say that Instagram is no longer the preferred network in the eyes of today’s teenagers.
- That said, Instagram maintains a firm hold on Gen Z and Millennials — these groups make up roughly two-thirds of their base.
- Instagram stats and new Shopping features (like Drops) signal the platform’s shift to becoming an ecommerce hub.
- Reels are popular, but they couldn’t beat TikTok’s momentum in 2021 —the platform continues to peel influencers away from Instagram.
TikTok demographic data and usage
- Number of monthly active users: 1 billion
- Largest age group: 10-19 (25%)
- Gender: 61% female, 39% male (no data on other genders)
- Time spent per day: 89 minutes per day
Takeaways from TikTok demographics for 2022
- TikTok’s popularity and growth are unprecedented (~10x more users since our last social media demographics breakdown).
- Not only is the user base booming but also activity — users are spending nearly 90 minutes per day on the platform.
- Fact: nearly 40% of Gen Z say they’re directly influenced by products they see on TikTok and brands should take notice.
- As more and more brands get on board, we’re seeing influencers do the same.
- TikTok is ramping up and “maturing” to meet the needs of its users, including more advanced ads and CRM integrations.
LinkedIn demographics and usage
- Number of monthly active users: 810 million
- Largest age group: 25-34 (58.4%)
- Gender: 48% female, 52% male
- 63% of LinkedIn users access the network weekly, and 22% daily
Takeaways from LinkedIn demographics for 2022
- It has been thought before that LinkedIn exclusively caters to an older audience, but now Millennials dominate the platform.
- LinkedIn reportedly experienced record revenue, driven by the platform’s growth during COVID-19 and increased interest in new jobs.
- The platform’s demographic of high-earning B2B professionals makes LinkedIn a potential goldmine for ad focus.
- According to LinkedIn themselves, it’s the top-rated social network for lead generation, making it a great source for B2B marketers looking to find targeted and motivated audiences for their campaigns.
- Given that only 180 million (25%) of LinkedIn’s users are located in the US, the platform has a massive international reach.
Pinterest demographics and usage
- Number of monthly active users 431 million
- Largest age group: 50-64 (38%)
- Gender: 78% female, 22% male (no data on other genders)
- Time spent per day: 14.2 minutes
Takeaways from Pinterest demographics for 2022
- Although Pinterest is largely considered female-dominated, the platform saw a surprising spike in male users during 2021.
- Pinterest is perhaps the most produced-focused of any social network, signaling big opportunities for ads (hint: 45% of Pinterest users have a household income of $100,000+).
- Shopping-centric organic content is fair game, too — almost 70% of users say they trust Pinterest and it’s their favorite place to research products.
- Pinterest’s social media demographic data is unique as their users are almost evenly split age-wise — 18-29 (32%), 30-49 (34%) and the largest demo is 50-64 (38%). Interesting crowd!
Snapchat demographic data and usage
- Number of monthly active users: 319 million
- Largest age group: 15-25 (48%)
- Gender: 54.4% female, 44.6% male (no data on other genders)
- Time spent per day: 25+ minutes
Takeaways from Snapchat demographics for 2022
- Although Snapchat may not be the most talked-about or “trendy” network anecdotally, the platform saw growth during 2021.
- Snapchat is still huge with the younger crowd, although it recently lost its top spot as teenagers’ go-to network.
- Even if you aren’t active on Snapchat, it’s a prime place for trend spotting and learning what younger consumers want.
- With 57% YoY revenue growth (breaking the $1 billion barrier), Snapchat isn’t going anywhere yet.
YouTube demographics and usage
- Number of monthly active users: 2+ billion
- Largest age group: 15-35 (highest reach)
- Gender: 46% female, 54% male (no data on other genders)
- Time spent per session: ~30 minutes
Takeaways from YouTube demographics for 2022
- YouTube’s popularity among younger users highlights the ongoing, long-term shift toward video content.
- Marketers note that YouTube is still a sort of land of opportunity advertising-wise, viewing it as a place to put their ad dollars in the future versus the likes of Facebook (hint: YouTube’s ad revenue increased 43% YoY).
- This revenue growth signals not only the platform’s influence as a social network but also as a go-to streaming service.
- Given that 62% of YouTube’s users log into the platform daily, the platform has no problems with engagement and retention.
- Still, the majority of users claim to use YouTube for entertainment rather than to find brands and products. Brands still have a lot of work to do on the platform, finding a balance between entertainment and advertising.
Are social media demographics part of your strategy?
Keep in mind that this data is generalised across billions of users and serves as a starting point for brands looking to prioritise their social platforms.
If you’re looking to expand your reach, we recommend looking into the demographic data from your own social presence to see how it compares to the averages above.
Whether these numbers confirm what you already suspected or serve as eye-openers, make sure to bookmark them as you iron out your social strategy for 2022.
Easy Peasy Business is a leading digital marketing Agency, Consultancy and Network. We offer extensive online courses covering all aspects of digital marketing as well as providing bespoke consultancy and agency services.
For just £19 you can start our 14 Day Visibility Challenge: www.easypeasybusiness.com/14-day-challenge
Leave a Comment